Wellington FL Heating and Air Conditioning Guide to HVAC Acronyms

If you’re in the process of replacing part of your Wellington FL heating and air conditioning system then you’ve probably run into a ton of different acronyms. They can be really confusing because there are different acronyms for just about every feature, efficiency rating, and fuel type available. We decided that it would be really helpful for our customers if we put together a short guide to some of the more prevalent acronyms that you’ll encounter.

SEER – Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio

This is a cooling-only rating. The SEER measures an air conditioning system‘s cooling efficiency over an entire season. The higher the SEER rating, the more efficient it is. The SEER rating is obtained by comparing the amount of electricity used to the amount of cooling it produces.

HSPF – Heating Seasonal Performance Factor

This measurement is for heat pumps only. Similar to the SEER rating, this measurement looks at how efficient a heat pump is during heating season. A heat pump with a HSPF rating over 9 is very efficient and could qualify for tax incentives from the government.

AFUE – Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency

This rating is for heating systems like furnaces. The AFUE measures how much of the fuel consumed by a system is actually turned into heat. If your current system has a 60% AFUE rating then that means it is converting 60% of the fuel it burns into heat. The other 40% is wasted. Newer systems can have an AFUE rating of up to 95% and sometimes even higher than that.

COP – Coefficient of Performance

The COP is used for heat pumps and air conditioners. It is obtained by comparing the temperature of the heat reservoir with how much energy it uses. If your air conditioner has a COP of 3 it means that it creates 3 units of heat for every Kilowatt-hour it uses.

If you have any questions about the efficiency of your heating and air conditioning systems in your home in Wellington FL, call the experts at Astro Air.

 

Comments are closed.