June 18th, 2013
During the cooling season, your AC is put under the stress and strain of competing with the Florida heat and humidity. Considering how hot it is outside, and what your AC has to do to keep your home cool and comfortable, it’s no wonder that it may develop a problem at some point. Of the various things that can go wrong, a broken condensate float switch is relatively minor, but it has important implications for other parts of the system. During the cooling season, you need to make sure that every aspect of your system is in good working order. At Astro Air, we want your home to be comfortable. You can call us for air conditioning repair service in West Palm Beach, FL any time.
In order to understand what a condensate float switch is and how it works, it’s necessary to understand the role of the evaporator that sits in your indoor air handler. The evaporator is a set of pyramid-shaped coils that circulate cool, liquid refrigerant that has come from the outdoor unit. As the blower pulls in your warm indoor air through the ducts, the refrigerant absorbs the heat from the air, which causes it to evaporate (hence the name!). This process causes the moisture in the air to condense, which leaves moisture on the outside of the coils. If this moisture were to collect in the indoor air handler, then it could cause damage to the blower motor or any other components.
There is a condensate drain pan fitted just below your evaporator coils that collects this condensation so that it doesn’t drip outside the indoor air handler or within it. This is connected to a drainpipe that leads to the other drains in your home. The condensate float switch is a device that shuts the system down when the level of the condensation in the pan becomes too high or begins to overflow. If you AC stops working or won’t turn on, the level of condensate might have triggered this switch, and you’ll want to call a professional to find out the source of the overflow. However, if there is a problem with the condensate switch itself, it can cause you AC to turn off for no reason. If the condensate switch is not working at all, it might fail to turn off your AC when the condensate is too high, which can cause water leaks and damage to your system. It’s a small but important part of your AC system, and one of the many things your technician will check during your annual maintenance visit.
Call us today for comprehensive air conditioning repair services in West Palm Beach, FL.
June 11th, 2013
Your air conditioning system is one of the most critical components of your home’s comfort. If you want to be able to relax in your home then you need to make sure that your AC works as consistently as possible. The friendly professionals at Astro Air Inc. have years of experience working with all different kinds of air conditioning repair in West Palm Beach. We understand how important it is for your air conditioning system to work well. That’s why we put together a quick list of some of the things that you can do to minimize air conditioning repairs.
How to Potentially Reduce Air Conditioning Repair in West Palm Beach
Probably the best and easiest way for you to potentially reduce the need for air conditioning repair in West Palm Beach is to get regular maintenance visits. Astro Air offers a very attractive maintenance plan for homeowners. We’ll visit your home a couple times a year to inspect, clean, repair and replace any parts that need care. This will allow us to find small problems and issues that could be developing. We’ll repair them before they can cause larger, more costly issues.
One of the most common causes of air conditioning repair in West Palm Beach is a clogged AC filter. Your air conditioning system’s filter is there to protect the moving parts from dust and dirt. If that filter isn’t changed on a regular basis it will restrict the flow of air through your air conditioning system. This can cause more wear and tear on your system and could make your system break down more often. Making sure that your air filter is changed regularly can go a long way to helping you potentially avoid repairs, increase efficiency and extend the life of your system.
For all your air conditioning repair in West Palm Beach, make sure that you call the experts at Astro Air. We can work on any type of system that you might and any issue that you’re experiencing.
June 4th, 2013
Our air conditioning systems in West Palm Beach, FL are essential. We need our cooling systems to keep us crisp and refreshed during the long cooling season down here. But the effectiveness of your air conditioning requires a clean air filter. The air filter is designed to keep debris from entering the internal components of your AC. Let’s take a look at the relationship between air filters and effective air conditioning. Call Astro Air today for service, whether you’re concerned about your cooling or indoor air quality.
- Performance: AC performance is not only about the power of your compressor or having the right amount of refrigerant; it’s also about keeping your system clean to avoid any airflow issues. One common airflow problem that may arise during the course of the cooling season is an excessively dirty or clogged air filter. This prevents the cool air from circulating throughout the living space. Any such problems with airflow can place an increased demand on the AC components.
- Energy efficiency: Airflow is also about energy efficiency. If the air filter is clean, then it captures particulates before they enter your indoor air, without impeding the passage of cool air. But if the air filter is dirty or completely clogged, then it begins to force the AC to work harder. The compressor will have to use more energy to create enough cool air. This can lead to frozen coils and humidity problems, which can further exacerbate energy inefficiency.
- Indoor air quality: While your air filter is designed to protect system components, and not necessarily your indoor air quality, there are air cleaners designed to improve the air you breathe in your home. Both media filter and electronic air cleaners offer comprehensive contaminant removal. Depending on your air quality issue, they can remove mold, viruses, bacteria, dander, pollen, and other substances.
Make sure you replace your air filter about once a month during the cooling season. Call Astro Air today for comprehensive West Palm Beach air conditioning and indoor air quality services.
May 27th, 2013
Every year on the final Monday of May, citizens of America come together to honor those who have served our country. Formerly known as Decoration Day, Memorial Day came to prominence after the American Civil War to commemorate the fallen soldiers on either side. Although its origins are somewhat ambiguous, it has always been about bringing people together to recognize our country’s military personnel and history. We want to take this opportunity to thank all the men and women who have served our county.
Memorial Day also marks the beginning of summer. We hope that you have a wonderful day off, and that it is a great start to your summer!
If you need air conditioning service in South Florida this season, we are here to help!
May 20th, 2013
If your AC freezes over, it can lead to ineffective cooling as well as energy inefficiency. With professional installation and maintenance, you should be able to avoid many problems that can arise with your air conditioner, but, unfortunately, some problems are inevitable. During the long hot spring and summer months, you need to ensure that you take care of any problems as soon as they arise so that you don’t risk serious problems with the operation of your AC. If you’re in need of air conditioning repair in Boynton Beach, FL, call Astro Air today.
The evaporator coil in your indoor air handler is responsible for cooling the air that is drawn from the interior of your home. Let’s examine the problem of your AC freezing over a little more closely.
- Causes: There are numerous causes for why this could happen to your AC, much of them dependent upon the unique circumstances of your home and the AC’s installation. One frequent cause of frozen evaporator coils is a clogged air filter that is blocking the flow of cool air into the ductwork for distribution. When this occurs, the cool air builds up within the air handler itself and its freezes the coils. Another possible cause is low refrigerant, which disrupts the entire refrigerant cycle.
- Prevention: Make sure you routinely clean your air filter during the cooling season, and replace it when necessary. Seeing as this one of the primary causes of airflow issues, make sure you don’t let this minor chore disrupt your cooling this summer. Another great way to prevent such problems is by enrolling in professional routine maintenance, which can help your system achieve maximum performance and energy efficiency.
If you notice a decline in your AC’s performance or an increase in your energy bill, your coils may have frozen over. Make sure you get it fixed as soon as possible to avoid further issues. Call Astro Air today for Boynton Beach, FL air conditioning repair.
May 13th, 2013
If you’re in the market for a new air conditioning system for your home, then you need to take more into consideration than the equipment itself. The most important aspect is actually the process of professional installation. From selection to the actual installation itself, the right AC contractor can help to ensure that you are fully satisfied with your purchase and that it works well in your home. AC sizing is therefore a critical step in the process. An air conditioner’s cooling output is measured in BTUs and tonnage and this should match the volume of air in your living space. In this post, we’d like to review why this is important. For excellent West Palm Beach air conditioning installation services, call Astro Air today!
Here are some of the problems associated with an inappropriately sized air conditioner:
- If it is too small: If the size of your home exceeds the size of your new AC, you simply won’t be able to expect the right amount of cooling performance. You may get by for a while, but ultimately a small AC will result in high energy bills and even system damage. Your AC will be forced to attempt to provide cool air for a space that is too large for its normal output, and this can lead to an overheated compressor, among other problems.
- If it is too large: While an overly large AC may seem like not much of an issue, bigger is not necessarily better. If the capacity of your AC exceeds the needs of your home, it can result in energy inefficiency and short cycling. When your AC has to turn on and off constantly, it can also increase the level of wear and tear on your system, especially the compressor and other components like the capacitor.
We hope this gives you some idea as to the importance of professional AC sizing. If you’re in need of a new system to replace your old one, then call Astro Air for West Palm Beach air conditioning installation today.
April 29th, 2013
Your West Palm Beach air conditioner works hard all spring and summer to ensure that your home stays cool despite the scorching sun and high humidity. With all the use (and abuse) that they endure, it’s no wonder that they might need professional repair from time to time. If you haven’t signed up for routine maintenance, then you may need repair more often. One common problem we encounter fairly often in the area is dirty coils. The coils are the veins of your AC system; they allow the refrigerant to undergo changes in pressure and temperature, which are essential to the heat transfer process. When you need air conditioning repair in West Palm Beach, call the experts at Astro Air today!
Here are some signs you need to have your coils professionally cleaned:
- Inadequate cooling: This is probably the most common sign that your coils are dirty. You have two sets of coils in the AC system: a condenser coil outside, and an evaporator coil inside. Both are subject to the accumulation of dust and debris on their surfaces. When they become dirty, they begin to become counterproductive to the task of heat transfer. For example, your evaporator is designed to cool the air extracted from the interior of your home with the cool liquid refrigerant. If it’s dirty, however, then no such cooling can take place.
- Warm air: If you feel warm air coming out of your ductwork, then you may have a dirty coil. For example, your condenser coil is designed to dissipate the hot pressurized gas refrigerant inside its coils with the assistance of an exhaust fan. If it’s dirty, the condenser coil will not be able to disperse this thermal energy adequately, and it will send hot gas to the evaporator coil, which may, in turn, heat the air, rather than cool it.
Dirty coils affect both the performance and energy efficiency of your air conditioning system. Make sure your AC is clean with professional air conditioning repair in West Palm Beach from Astro Air. Call us today!
April 22nd, 2013
With the amount of use that our air conditioning systems get in the Boca Raton area, it’s no wonder that at some point, they might develop a strange or unusual sound. If you hear a surprising noise from your AC, then it may be time for professional repair. But, how do you know? There are some common noises that nearly always indicate a problem in need of repair. Give the experts at Astro Air Inc. a call for exceptional air conditioning services in Boca Raton.
Let’s take a look at some common noises:
- Hissing: Depending on where it is, a hissing sound can indicate either a gas refrigerant leak, or an air leak in your ductwork. In either case, your AC system needs repair. Low refrigerant levels can cause an array of difficulties within the system, and even small air duct leaks can dramatically reduce your airflow and energy efficiency.
- Buzzing: If you hear buzzing in or around one of your AC units, then it could be a serious electrical problem. There may be a loose or damaged wire in the system, or, alternatively, an electrical arcing problem. Both problems should be inspected and repaired by a qualified technician. Electrical problems may not only risk your comfort but also the safety of your home.
- Grinding: If you hear grinding in the air handler, turn it off and call a tech. A grinding noise is often the result of dry bearings in the blower motor, which can result in permanent motor failure if not caught early on.
- Banging: If you hear banging or some other loud noise that resembles two objects striking together, it could be a loose or warped fan blade in the air handler or in the exhaust fan outside. Alternatively, one of the components may be loose inside one of the housings. Such physical damage can cause rapid deterioration of your system components and should be repaired immediately.
For air conditioning service in Boca Raton, FL, call the experts at Astro Air Inc. today!
April 15th, 2013
It’s getting hot in Boca Raton, FL, and if you haven’t already tested your AC out for the fast approaching summer, don’t wait. For those who have already tuned on their air conditioning system only to discover that it doesn’t cool, don’t panic. There are many potential reasons that your AC is not cooling, but discovering the root cause can be challenging to the layperson. Only a certified professional will know how to diagnose the problem accurately and fix it, so that you can get back to enjoying the beautiful weather. In this post, we’d like to give you a brief list as to why your AC is not cooling. When you need air conditioning repair in Boca Raton, FL, call the experts at Astro Air!
- Frozen coil: A frozen evaporator coil is a common cause of inadequate cooling. The most common cause of this frost buildup is a clogged air filter, so make sure you check that first. Your air filter needs to be changed regularly, about once a month during peak cooling times. While your system may have tried to defrost itself by shutting off, make sure you call in a technician to take a look.
- Low refrigerant: The level of refrigerant circulating through your compressor and coils is known as its “charge.” If the level becomes low, it puts a strain on the whole system, and it can significantly reduce the effectiveness and efficiency of your cooling system. You may have sprung a very small leak in one of the coils, in which case the source of the leak will need to be determined and repaired in order to recharge the refrigerant cycle.
- Duct leak: If you have only warm air coming out of your air ducts, there may be a significant leak or hole in your ductwork. It may be sucking the air from inside your walls or attic into your cool supply air. Have your ducts professionally tested if you think you might have a leak.
These are just a handful of the potential reason your AC is not cooling. Your home cooling system is complex, so make sure you receive professional repair. For air conditioning in Boca Raton, FL, call the experts at Astro Air today!
April 8th, 2013
As the temperature begins to rise in Palm Beach, FL, you may already be wondering whether your AC is ready to perform all summer long. Perhaps it’s been awhile since your last service check-up, or you didn’t quite take care of that strange noise that began last cooling season. Whatever the reason, spring is a great time to take care of any air conditioning repairs so that you stay cool and comfortable on even the hottest days. There’s no substitute for professional repair and maintenance. In this post, we’d like to give you a few good reasons to schedule professional air conditioning repair in Palm Beach, FL.
- Energy efficiency: An air conditioner in good working condition and energy efficiency go hand in hand. Most of the problems that occur with AC units significantly decrease energy efficiency, by making your system work harder for less cooling, or by ineffectually using electrical energy to produce little to no cooling. Professional repair is important because it allows your cooling system to operate at peak operating efficiency so that you get what you pay for.
- Comfort: There is no substitute for comfort. When it’s hot and humid outside, you need to make sure that its crisp and cool indoors, especially in the Florida heat. Professional repair allows you to take care of what you need to, without worrying about whether your system will work well or not. Comfort also includes the peace of mind knowing that the job will be done correctly the first time.
- System life: One of the great bonuses of professional repair is improving system life. It’s estimated that neglected air conditioners lose about 5% of their efficiency every year. Delaying even the most minor repairs can negatively impact the working life of your AC, which can often mean premature replacement. Your AC is a big investment in the future of your home. Make sure you make it work as long as possible.
Still unconvinced? Talk to a professional about any concerns you may have with your AC system. For professional air conditioning repair in Palm Beach, FL, call Astro Air today!