May 20th, 2013
If your AC freezes over, it can lead to ineffective cooling as well as energy inefficiency. With professional installation and maintenance, you should be able to avoid many problems that can arise with your air conditioner, but, unfortunately, some problems are inevitable. During the long hot spring and summer months, you need to ensure that you take care of any problems as soon as they arise so that you don’t risk serious problems with the operation of your AC. If you’re in need of air conditioning repair in Boynton Beach, FL, call Astro Air today.
The evaporator coil in your indoor air handler is responsible for cooling the air that is drawn from the interior of your home. Let’s examine the problem of your AC freezing over a little more closely.
- Causes: There are numerous causes for why this could happen to your AC, much of them dependent upon the unique circumstances of your home and the AC’s installation. One frequent cause of frozen evaporator coils is a clogged air filter that is blocking the flow of cool air into the ductwork for distribution. When this occurs, the cool air builds up within the air handler itself and its freezes the coils. Another possible cause is low refrigerant, which disrupts the entire refrigerant cycle.
- Prevention: Make sure you routinely clean your air filter during the cooling season, and replace it when necessary. Seeing as this one of the primary causes of airflow issues, make sure you don’t let this minor chore disrupt your cooling this summer. Another great way to prevent such problems is by enrolling in professional routine maintenance, which can help your system achieve maximum performance and energy efficiency.
If you notice a decline in your AC’s performance or an increase in your energy bill, your coils may have frozen over. Make sure you get it fixed as soon as possible to avoid further issues. Call Astro Air today for Boynton Beach, FL air conditioning repair.
May 13th, 2013
If you’re in the market for a new air conditioning system for your home, then you need to take more into consideration than the equipment itself. The most important aspect is actually the process of professional installation. From selection to the actual installation itself, the right AC contractor can help to ensure that you are fully satisfied with your purchase and that it works well in your home. AC sizing is therefore a critical step in the process. An air conditioner’s cooling output is measured in BTUs and tonnage and this should match the volume of air in your living space. In this post, we’d like to review why this is important. For excellent West Palm Beach air conditioning installation services, call Astro Air today!
Here are some of the problems associated with an inappropriately sized air conditioner:
- If it is too small: If the size of your home exceeds the size of your new AC, you simply won’t be able to expect the right amount of cooling performance. You may get by for a while, but ultimately a small AC will result in high energy bills and even system damage. Your AC will be forced to attempt to provide cool air for a space that is too large for its normal output, and this can lead to an overheated compressor, among other problems.
- If it is too large: While an overly large AC may seem like not much of an issue, bigger is not necessarily better. If the capacity of your AC exceeds the needs of your home, it can result in energy inefficiency and short cycling. When your AC has to turn on and off constantly, it can also increase the level of wear and tear on your system, especially the compressor and other components like the capacitor.
We hope this gives you some idea as to the importance of professional AC sizing. If you’re in need of a new system to replace your old one, then call Astro Air for West Palm Beach air conditioning installation today.
April 29th, 2013
Your West Palm Beach air conditioner works hard all spring and summer to ensure that your home stays cool despite the scorching sun and high humidity. With all the use (and abuse) that they endure, it’s no wonder that they might need professional repair from time to time. If you haven’t signed up for routine maintenance, then you may need repair more often. One common problem we encounter fairly often in the area is dirty coils. The coils are the veins of your AC system; they allow the refrigerant to undergo changes in pressure and temperature, which are essential to the heat transfer process. When you need air conditioning repair in West Palm Beach, call the experts at Astro Air today!
Here are some signs you need to have your coils professionally cleaned:
- Inadequate cooling: This is probably the most common sign that your coils are dirty. You have two sets of coils in the AC system: a condenser coil outside, and an evaporator coil inside. Both are subject to the accumulation of dust and debris on their surfaces. When they become dirty, they begin to become counterproductive to the task of heat transfer. For example, your evaporator is designed to cool the air extracted from the interior of your home with the cool liquid refrigerant. If it’s dirty, however, then no such cooling can take place.
- Warm air: If you feel warm air coming out of your ductwork, then you may have a dirty coil. For example, your condenser coil is designed to dissipate the hot pressurized gas refrigerant inside its coils with the assistance of an exhaust fan. If it’s dirty, the condenser coil will not be able to disperse this thermal energy adequately, and it will send hot gas to the evaporator coil, which may, in turn, heat the air, rather than cool it.
Dirty coils affect both the performance and energy efficiency of your air conditioning system. Make sure your AC is clean with professional air conditioning repair in West Palm Beach from Astro Air. Call us today!
April 22nd, 2013
With the amount of use that our air conditioning systems get in the Boca Raton area, it’s no wonder that at some point, they might develop a strange or unusual sound. If you hear a surprising noise from your AC, then it may be time for professional repair. But, how do you know? There are some common noises that nearly always indicate a problem in need of repair. Give the experts at Astro Air Inc. a call for exceptional air conditioning services in Boca Raton.
Let’s take a look at some common noises:
- Hissing: Depending on where it is, a hissing sound can indicate either a gas refrigerant leak, or an air leak in your ductwork. In either case, your AC system needs repair. Low refrigerant levels can cause an array of difficulties within the system, and even small air duct leaks can dramatically reduce your airflow and energy efficiency.
- Buzzing: If you hear buzzing in or around one of your AC units, then it could be a serious electrical problem. There may be a loose or damaged wire in the system, or, alternatively, an electrical arcing problem. Both problems should be inspected and repaired by a qualified technician. Electrical problems may not only risk your comfort but also the safety of your home.
- Grinding: If you hear grinding in the air handler, turn it off and call a tech. A grinding noise is often the result of dry bearings in the blower motor, which can result in permanent motor failure if not caught early on.
- Banging: If you hear banging or some other loud noise that resembles two objects striking together, it could be a loose or warped fan blade in the air handler or in the exhaust fan outside. Alternatively, one of the components may be loose inside one of the housings. Such physical damage can cause rapid deterioration of your system components and should be repaired immediately.
For air conditioning service in Boca Raton, FL, call the experts at Astro Air Inc. today!
April 15th, 2013
It’s getting hot in Boca Raton, FL, and if you haven’t already tested your AC out for the fast approaching summer, don’t wait. For those who have already tuned on their air conditioning system only to discover that it doesn’t cool, don’t panic. There are many potential reasons that your AC is not cooling, but discovering the root cause can be challenging to the layperson. Only a certified professional will know how to diagnose the problem accurately and fix it, so that you can get back to enjoying the beautiful weather. In this post, we’d like to give you a brief list as to why your AC is not cooling. When you need air conditioning repair in Boca Raton, FL, call the experts at Astro Air!
- Frozen coil: A frozen evaporator coil is a common cause of inadequate cooling. The most common cause of this frost buildup is a clogged air filter, so make sure you check that first. Your air filter needs to be changed regularly, about once a month during peak cooling times. While your system may have tried to defrost itself by shutting off, make sure you call in a technician to take a look.
- Low refrigerant: The level of refrigerant circulating through your compressor and coils is known as its “charge.” If the level becomes low, it puts a strain on the whole system, and it can significantly reduce the effectiveness and efficiency of your cooling system. You may have sprung a very small leak in one of the coils, in which case the source of the leak will need to be determined and repaired in order to recharge the refrigerant cycle.
- Duct leak: If you have only warm air coming out of your air ducts, there may be a significant leak or hole in your ductwork. It may be sucking the air from inside your walls or attic into your cool supply air. Have your ducts professionally tested if you think you might have a leak.
These are just a handful of the potential reason your AC is not cooling. Your home cooling system is complex, so make sure you receive professional repair. For air conditioning in Boca Raton, FL, call the experts at Astro Air today!
April 8th, 2013
As the temperature begins to rise in Palm Beach, FL, you may already be wondering whether your AC is ready to perform all summer long. Perhaps it’s been awhile since your last service check-up, or you didn’t quite take care of that strange noise that began last cooling season. Whatever the reason, spring is a great time to take care of any air conditioning repairs so that you stay cool and comfortable on even the hottest days. There’s no substitute for professional repair and maintenance. In this post, we’d like to give you a few good reasons to schedule professional air conditioning repair in Palm Beach, FL.
- Energy efficiency: An air conditioner in good working condition and energy efficiency go hand in hand. Most of the problems that occur with AC units significantly decrease energy efficiency, by making your system work harder for less cooling, or by ineffectually using electrical energy to produce little to no cooling. Professional repair is important because it allows your cooling system to operate at peak operating efficiency so that you get what you pay for.
- Comfort: There is no substitute for comfort. When it’s hot and humid outside, you need to make sure that its crisp and cool indoors, especially in the Florida heat. Professional repair allows you to take care of what you need to, without worrying about whether your system will work well or not. Comfort also includes the peace of mind knowing that the job will be done correctly the first time.
- System life: One of the great bonuses of professional repair is improving system life. It’s estimated that neglected air conditioners lose about 5% of their efficiency every year. Delaying even the most minor repairs can negatively impact the working life of your AC, which can often mean premature replacement. Your AC is a big investment in the future of your home. Make sure you make it work as long as possible.
Still unconvinced? Talk to a professional about any concerns you may have with your AC system. For professional air conditioning repair in Palm Beach, FL, call Astro Air today!
April 1st, 2013
At Astro Air, we understand that many homeowners like to take on projects around the house themselves. This is a great attitude to have in some situations. Other projects, though, can only be completed by a trained, qualified professional. An air conditioning installation in Palm Beach is one such project. When it comes to your air conditioning installation there is simply no way that you can complete the service on your own. Call the air conditioning installation professionals at Astro Air today to schedule service. We will make sure that your air conditioning installation is a complete success and that you can keep your home comfortable throughout the summer.
One reason that your air conditioning installation requires the services that only a professional can provide is to ensure that it is properly sized for your home. An improperly sized air conditioning system will cost you more to operate and will fail to keep you comfortable. If it is too small then it will struggle to reach target temperatures and will work inefficiently. If your air conditioner is too large then it will cycle on and off frequently, causing it to short cycle and incur unnecessary wear and tear.
A professional installation is also necessary to ensure that your air conditioner will operate safely. Your AC will require an electricity source in order to operate. Anytime any job involving electricity in your home is necessary it must be completed by a trained professional. Our technicians will ensure that your electrical system can handle the demand that your air conditioner puts on it and that all electrical connections are made safely.
Plus, an air conditioning installation also requires an efficient system design. Forced air distribution systems are often used to circulate cooled air throughout a home. If your ductwork system is poorly designed you cannot expect your air conditioner to keep you comfortable in an efficient manner.
For more information about the importance of professional air conditioning installation or to schedule service today, call Astro Air. We can handle any air conditioning installation in Palm Beach. Let us help you keep your home comfortable on the hottest days of the year.
March 25th, 2013
As the temperature begins to rise in Boca Raton, FL, homeowners throughout the area are beginning to start up their air conditioning systems to make sure that they are primed for the summer heat. Because of all the use that your AC gets down here, it may eventually require repair. If you have enrolled in a routine maintenance program, then repair needs may certainly be reduced, but they can’t be removed entirely. In this post, we’ve compiled a list of some common air conditioning repairs in Boca Raton, FL. Remember that superior service is just a phone call away. Astro Air Inc. provides comprehensive air conditioning repair in your area. Call us today!
Here are a few common AC repairs:
- Uneven cooling. This is typically a balance problem, which can involve your ductwork and thermostat. If suddenly notice hot spots in your room, where that cool air is not distributed, then there is something wrong with your air distribution, either the ducts or the fans. If you have a zone control system, then there may be a problem with one of the electric dampers.
- Inadequate cooling. This is one of the most common problems. If your air conditioner was improperly sized, then it may require major modification. But this can also be a problem with one of the components in the air handler, a dirty or clogged air filter, or even a thermostat fault. Professional diagnosis can pinpoint the problem quickly and accurately
- Frozen coils. If your air filter is clogged or air handler broken, then you may see frost on the inside of your unit’s coils. To produce cool air, fresh outside air is brought through the evaporator coils to be cooled by the low-temperature refrigerant inside. If these coils freeze, then your system may frequently shut itself off in order to defrost, or it can lead to serious damages.
Air conditioning repairs happen to even the best systems. But if you’re looking for a way to reduce your repair needs as well as improve your system life, consider enrolling in a maintenance plan. This entitles you to a biannual 19-point precision tune-up, as well as inspection and cleaning services. For air conditioning repair in Boca Raton, FL, call Astro Air Inc. today!
March 18th, 2013
When you think of keeping your home cool during the hottest days of the summer, you don’t often think of insulation. After all, isn’t insulation supposed to keep hot air in? And don’t we want to keep the hot air outside? But knowing more about how insulation affects air conditioning performance in your Palm Beach area home, can help improve your energy-efficiency and reduce your utility costs. While it may seem counter-intuitive, installing new insulation in certain parts of your home can actually keep your home that much more cool. For more information about air conditioning performance, call the experts at Astro Air today!
While many homeowners know that insulation helps to keep their hot air indoors on cold winter nights, insulation also prevents hot air from entering your home. When professionally installed, insulation acts as a thermal barrier, controlling the flow both ways. Let’s take a look at some of the ways insulation affects performance:
- Hot attic. If you’ve ever had to fetch a box from the attic during August, you probably know how unpleasant it can. While attics serve a function, if they are not properly insulated, they can cause your cooling system to work harder in trying to cool spaces that are not meant to be cooled, and they can also let that precious cool air escape through your roof.
- R-Value. If you’re in the market for insulation, whether for your attic, or anywhere else that may keep that cool air on the inside, you’ll probably across the term, R-Value. It measures the thermal resistance of the insulation material. When deciding on what type of insulation for your attic, consult an expert.
- Replacement. If you already have some or full attic insulation, you may also want to consider replacing it with material of a higher R-Value. Doing so can help to improve the energy efficiency of your home not just for the cooling season, but also year round.
Insulation can have a great impact upon air conditioning performance. If your home is not properly insulated, your air conditioner is probably not cooling as effectively and efficiently as it could be. For insulation installation in Palm Beach, call Astro Air today!
March 11th, 2013
Whether you’re installing an air conditioning system in your new Wellington, FL home, or replacing your existing system, it’s important to know what your options are so that you can make an informed decision. There is a lot of misinformation on the web, so it’s important to get in touch with a professional to get accurate information about your options. Only a certified and experienced air conditioning contractor will be able to advise you on what best works for your home and your budget. At Astro Air Inc., we love to talk to customers about their air conditioning options, and our highly-trained technicians are passionate about providing quality air conditioning installation service.
Let’s look at some of your air conditioning options:
- Central AC. This is a classic split system, which means there is an outdoor and indoor unit. This is the most common type of air conditioning system, and is also known as central AC. It uses an extensive system of ductwork to send cool, conditioned air throughout your home. When an air conditioning unit with a high SEER rating is used, it can be both energy-efficient and cost-effective.
- Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioner. Like a conventional central air split system, there is an outdoor unit that houses the compressor, and an indoor unit that circulates the cool air. But unlike a conventional system, there is no ductwork. Ductless mini splits are space-savers, economical, and highly efficient. They also offer greater energy savings in the long-term if maintained well. The sleek indoor air handlers can be located in spaces throughout your home so that you can customize individual zone temperatures. This can also help you to avoid cooling your whole house when all you need is the downstairs, or upstairs.
You may also want to keep in mind that SEER ratings are only as good as the integrity of the entire system (including insulation), and the quality of the installation. That’s why customers in the Wellington, FL area rely upon the air conditioning experts at Astro Air Inc. We carry quality central air conditioners from Carrier, Trane, and Amana, and ductless mini splits from LG, Samsung, Mitsubishi, Sanyo, and QuietCool.